Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the breathtaking dawn of a new era

Also known as "peace out, unemployment!" And how good am I, that I totally called it? I gave the same sincere answers to essentially the same questions for the same position, provided the same references, wore the same outfit- my Official Interview outfit, in which I am cute but professional and asexual- but this time, got the job. All because this time, my interviewer was male. What kinda bullshit is that, ladies? Let's quit holding each other down.

Well, crazy sexist self-hate aside, I am super excited about this new development. It will be good for a number of reasons:
  • It's a job! Four months of resume-spamming, vaseline-smiling interviews over and done with, about fucking time.
  • It's more than just some shitty job, it's a job I really wanted, which'll be excellent experience once I embark on my proper career path.
  • I've never done anything like it before, which means it's a challenge, which means it's exciting.
It goes without saying that equal to almost all of those things at this particular moment is the fact that I will have income, which means that reality-grounded dreaming and scheming (as well as the payment of student loans) can resume as if the past four months meant nada.

The one down note in all of this excitement, which resonated even through the past, unusually awesome weekend about which I'm sure to write later, is the conspicuous lack of communication from J. It should pretty much be illegal, when you are in the hospital recovering from cancer, to turn your cell phone off for an extended period of time, especially when you are fortunate to have a friend so understanding as I am/can be. Which is to say that not-calling someone for weeks/months at a time, when death is a looming possibility ( significantly moreso than is normal, anyway) for you, causes suffering and worrying the likes of which you will never know. To further break it down, I don't need a goddamned 40 minute dissertation twice a damn day, but it sure would be nice to know that you are actually alive, and that would only take about 2 minutes every couple of days, and I just don't think that that is asking a lot. Bastard.

No comments: